Nominated for four Oscars and winning one, this is the ultimate classic noir mystery.
Dana Andrews plays the detective who delves into the murder of Gene Tierney’s enigmatic Laura, with whom everyone is in love with. But it is Clifton Webb who steals the show as the titular ingenue’s creepily elegant social mentor, Waldo Lydecker.
Vincent Price, in a role he regarded as one of all-time favourites, plays the polished Southern playboy Shelby Carpenter who loves the ladies and plays a mean piano. It’s just a shame that the scene of him serenading a party of lovelies is now all but lost…
Laura was released on 11 October 1944 in the US, while the UK had to wait until 15 January 1945 before the film cast its spell on audiences on the other side of the pond.
HOME ENTERTAINMENT RELEASE
Laura will be released as part of the Masters of Cinema Series on Blu-ray in the UK from 14 January 2019.
• 1080p presentation on Blu-ray of both the extended and original theatrical versions of the film
• LPCM mono Audio
• Optional English SDH subtitles
• Audio commentary by composer David Raksin and film professor Jeanine Basinger
• Audio commentary by film historian Rudy Behlmer
• Laura: The Lux Radio Theater broadcasts – Two radio adaptations of Laura from 1945 [59 mins] and 1954 [57 mins], starring Dana Andrews, Gene Tierney and Vincent Price in the 1945 version, and Gene Tierney and Victor Mature in the 1954 version
• Adaptation of Laura from radio anthology series, The Screen Guild Theater, originally aired in 1945 [30 mins], starring Dana Andrews, Gene Tierney and Clifton Webb
• Laura: The Ford Theater broadcast – A further radio adaptation of Laura from 1948, starring Virginia Gilmore and John Larkin
• A Tune for Laura: David Raksin Remembers – an archival interview with the renowned composer
• The Obsession – an archival featurette on Laura
• Deleted Scene
• PLUS: A collector’s booklet featuring a new essay by Phil Hoad, alongside a selection of rare archival imagery